I've been crazy busy the past few weeks and unable to post, plus I've been distracted by a few hilariously bizarre turns of fate, so I'll just give you the highlights:
- Michael and I ended up going to London after all, our flight home disrupted not by a volcano, as feared, but by an eruption of a very different but eminently more enjoyable sort: Courtney Love having a conniption in first class and marching back to coach to berate her lowly assistant, to the amusement of her fans in business class (yours truly).
- Even more pathetic than Courtney's outburst was the fact that Cindy Adams, of all people, stole the story off our Facebook pages and claimed it as her own scoop. Only in New York, kids, only in New York!
- London was fabulous, as always. We had a great stay at One Aldwych hotel, which is still luxurious and even trendy despite newer competitors. And we had phenomenal meals at St. John Bread & Wine, 32 Great Queen Street, and Hereford Road. Anyone who still makes jokes about bad British food needs a new routine.
- I think London's gay nightlife scene may be the richest and most varied in the world—even better than New York's. And their drag queens are funnier too. Thanks to Severino, Simon, and everyone at Horse Meat Disco for giving Michael an unforgettable birthday.
- Mexico City, where I'm staying at the gorgeous new Las Alcobas Hotel, is fascinating, affordable, and devoid of Americans. It's like Buenos Aires, but a hell of a lot closer, and with more edge.
- I am in love with Frida Kahlo. And you thought Courtney wore her heart on her sleeve...